Warren, MI E-mail: email@example.com
Summary of Qualifications
● In-depth knowledge of in-vehicle security architecture, network and communication
● In-depth knowledge of layered vehicle security architecture and limitations
● Experienced in diagnostic protocols across vehicle and computer networks
● Experienced with embedded processors used in Automotive and IOT Devices
General Motors (2015-Present)
Lead Embedded Security Engineer
Vehicle Cybersecurity – Penetration Testing
Challenge suppliers to improve effectiveness in Vehicle Cybersecurity
● Created methodology, mentored and trained internal penetration testing team on various embedded security topics
● Conducted successful penetration testing engagements on multiple ECUs including telematics, Body Controls and Gateways
● Experienced in assessing external interface security, including Wifi, Bluetooth LE, USB
● Experienced in CAN topics - SecurityAccess, Secure Programming, Secure Boot, Gateways
● Experienced in analyzing entry points, developing custom fuzzers and MITM techniques
● Familiar with firmware analysis, disassemblers and debuggers on various architectures (PowerPC, MPC5xx VLE, MIPS, x86, RTOS)
General Motors (2013-2015)
Senior Embedded Security Engineer
Vehicle Cybersecurity - Diagnostics
Leading change in vehicle network security
● Architected and led implementation of Diagnostic SecurityAccess strategy using session keys, privilege separation and end to end authentication.
● Architected and implemented ISO14229-1 UDS Service 0x84 to provide a standard solution for Diagnostics encryption and authentication - created concept and worked with AUTOSAR WPs to standardize solution.
● Well-versed with the use of security peripherals as well as the AUTOSAR DCM, CSM, CAL and CRY security interfaces.
● In-depth understanding of ECU Diagnostics security strategy from Supplier key provisioning to end of life services including dealership and over the air services.
● In-depth understanding of Diagnostics tools used by Service, Manufacturing, Validation and Engineering - responsible for ensuring secure, continued access is provided to authorized tools.
● Reviewed and mitigated security concerns in ECU Specific Diagnostics for current ECUs.
● Expert in improving security posture in ECUs with limited processing capabilities.
● Interfaced with Service, Manufacturing and Engineering to implement strategy for next generation vehicle architectures.
● Improved the designs of multiple security mechanisms to enhance vehicle security including Intrusion Detection, Gateway and end ECU security.
● Knowledgeable in IT Key provisioning and key management strategies.
● Patent inventor for 3 patents relating to the use of Session Keys and securing the reading of memory addresses to improve automotive security.
Cummins inc (lhp software) (2011-2013)
Electronic tools, common components comm, core engineering
optimization, development and support of corporate tool
● Proposed, architected and Implemented XCP interface allowing industry standard tools
(Vector/NI Veristand) to communicate with Cummins proprietary protocols over J1939
● Implemented ASAM3 TCP interface allowing tool (CUTY) to communicate with the J1939 CAN
bus over Cummins CPP/CLIP as well as XCP over CAN/ethernet protocols
● Optimized corporate data acquisition tool to fix throughput issues on embedded dataloggers
● Proposed and implemented wireshark dissector for both XCP and the Cummins ASAM3 protocol.
● Created automated regression test suite / process to ensure robustness of corporate tool
● Provided support / consultation on integration with upper level toolsets used in test cells.
Delphi electronics, Active safety systems (2009-2011)
Lead software engineer
adaptive cruise control & collision imminent braking systems
responsible for delphi’s active scanning radar for gm Saab & Opel Insignia & Zafira
● Direct interface with customer, systems and project managers spanning multiple countries to
address customer concerns and ensure timely delivery.
● Manage global software team using software change requirements and configuration
● Experienced in developing in a time and safety critical embedded environment.
● Experienced in coding for a multi-core gateway spanning multiple CAN & SPI comm buses.
● Experienced with fixed point math micros like the NEC V850 Fx3 family.
● Proposed/implemented strategies include primary & secondary bootloader strategies, worst case
jitter analysis, ramshadow checksum, Full/BasicCAN buffer allocation
● Well versed with GMLAN diagnostic requirements GMW3110, 14241 and 15765
Delphi electronics, Software forward engineering (2008-2009)
Saint2 (System analysis interface tool)
Develop in-house capability on vehicle bus monitors and simulators
● Experienced in creating gateways across different vehicle/computer networks.
● Optimized USB driver code and worked with firmware team to increase throughput substantially
● Invented and implemented method of connecting third party vehicle networks software
to existing Saint2 hardware using DLL.
Troubleshoot vehicle network problems and perform/develop automated tests
● Extensive knowledge in vehicular networks including CAN, LIN and Flexray.
● Extensive knowledge in vehicular network management over various OSI layers.
● Expert in troubleshooting / isolating issues involving vehicle networks / network management.
● Proficient in vehicle simulation tools such as Vector Canoe, CANDiva, CANape, CANDela etc
● Experienced with various embedded debuggers including JTAG, Tricore Pathfinder, miniCube
● Developed several programs that run extensive automated testing on various embedded ECUs.
Autosar (Automotive open systems architecture)
Gain expertise in autosar
● Experienced in the vehicle network communications stack.
● Configured and integrated full AUTOSAR stack onto NECV850 embedded hardware.
● Created and implemented interface for code configuration software (Eclipse plugin) to
communicate with Vast’s virtual embedded systems (C++) using JNI / DLL
● Emulated NECV850 board in software using Java Swing GUI.
● Allowed users to visualize effects of configuration changes in real time.
Alliance group technologies, Software Engineer, (2007-2008)
with customer (
interpreter for an automatic code review software based on customer requirements.
● Personally responsible for entire language creation, design, implementation, documentation & testing.
● Exceeded expectations and delivered product in three months.
Alliance group technologies, Software tester (2005-2006)
IT&V (Independent tests and verification group)
● Successfully implemented C/C++ test scripts for the Ford SDARS satellite radio for three model years.
● Ensured that every test round deadline was met and all errors reported.
● US Patent 9460567 Establishing Secure Communication for Vehicle Diagnostics Data (Oct 2016)
● US Patent 9477843 Inhibiting Access to Sensitive Vehicle Diagnostic Data (Oct 2016)
● US Patent Pending P027766-OST-ALS Securely providing diagnostic data from vehicle to server (2014)
● Led and provided instruction for Batelle CyberAuto hands-on participants (Batelle CyberAuto 2016)
● Offensive Security Certified Professional Certification (OSCP) 2016
● Exploiting Real Time Operating Systems - Tactical Network Solutions 2016
● The Shellcode Lab - Blackhat 2016
● Application Security: For Hackers and Developers – Derbycon 2016
● Embedded Device Exploitation – Tactical Network Solutions 2015
● Android Hacking Basics – DerbyCon 2015
Network protocols (Vehicle) CAN, LIN, UDS, GMLAN, CCP/XCP, CLIP, J2534
Embedded programming FTDI , NECV850, TriCore, Android
Network protocols (PC) TCP/IP, UDP, SMTP, HTTP, USB, RS-232
Interfaces Wifi, BLE, JTAG, UART, Serial, Android ADB
Firmware Analysis Binwalk, IDA, GDB, QConn
Programming languages C/C++, Java, Python, Android
Vector toolset CANoe, CanDiva, CanDela, CANStress, CANape, CanGen, CANalyzer
B.S Computer Science
computer networks and security